Go Digital to Reduce Paperwork and Print Costs

You’re in the insurance business, so you’re no stranger to statistics. Here are a few to consider:

  • In 2011, the average cost for using ink and toner in the office was $800 – per employee.
  • According to the Gartner Group, printing consumes 1 to 3 percent of a company’s total revenue.
  • Only 25 percent of the total costs of ownership (TOC) in office print devices is tied to the purchase price of the devices. The other 75 percent is taken up by supplies, service and maintenance costs.

What’s more, today’s more mobile and far-flung workplace means that employees, associates, clients and vendors may not have access to printed material in a convenient or cost-effective way.

Next steps

By now, you may be wondering if it’s time for your insurance business to minimize the paperwork to maximize efficiency.

The digital revolution can help you make that transition. Web-connected multifunction (“all in one”) printers, cloud computing and mobile devices are now more the rule than the exception in many offices.

Whether your agency serves just a few self-storage clients or is growing to meet new demand, you can take simple steps to begin reducing the paperwork and the paper costs in your insurance business.

  • Introduce the concept of “BYOD” – bring your own device – into the workplace. Tablets, laptops, and other mobile devices allow for note-taking and fast sharing – eliminating the need to print out large quantities
  • Sign up your office of e-billing for rent, electricity and other consistent costs.
  • Set an example for your staff by scanning and emailing documents instead of sending them via “snail mail.”
  • For collaborative projects, use Word’s Comments or Track Change functions to reduce the need to print out every iteration of the text.

Of course, you will always need to print out some documents – but you can take steps to save paper, toner and power. Encourage employees to use two-sided printing, print in “grayscale” instead of 4-color, and check their documents in Print Preview to get the most out of every page.

The paperless payoff

Offices that implement a more paperless system often see immediate reduction in the amount of trash, recycling and unnecessary paperwork. And the advantages don’t end there:

  • Costs for paper and, especially, expensive ink and toner begin to shrink.
  • Stakeholders are connected faster and more efficiently digitally than through paper trails.
  • You will limit the time employees spend filing papers so they can get back to their core jobs – not to mention the saving space once reserved for filing cabinets.
  • You can use a paperless office to help meet environmental sustainability goals – and promote your efforts to your clients.

Start saving

You can go paperless in one fell swoop, or take measured steps toward your new, improved work environment. Either way, your insurance business can reap real benefits from the savings of time, material and budget when you take your office digital.

Leave a Reply