Insuring Items in Storage: Protecting Your Client for the Unexpected

3 Life Changes That May Require a Storage Unit

In life, change happens to everyone. Your client may be faced unexpectedly with circumstances that send them searching for a self-storage unit. Look out for their interests and enhance your relationship by educating clients about insuring the contents of their self-storage unit. Does your client have a homeowner’s policy that covers items in storage? Do they need a stand-alone tenant insurance policy? Here are three scenarios that may require a storage unit.


  • College
  • New home
  • Downsizing

Going somewhere? When it’s time to relocate, sometimes not everything can go with you. Life changes such as going to college, renovating a home, or moving into a smaller home may mean that a lot of items need to be stored in a rented unit.


  • New job
  • Long vacation
  • Musicians

Perhaps your client has a job change or maybe they are a musician going on tour or planning on going on a long vacation. While they are away, their things could be placed into storage.


Unexpectedly inheriting the belongings of a parent or older relative who has passed away or moved into a care center can be overwhelming. With emotions and necessary arrangements to make, it can be difficult to go through belongings right away. Many times, these items wind up in a self-storage unit.

With these and many other life changes potentially on the horizon for your clients, it is a good idea to educate them on their coverage options to protect their stored items. Show your clients that you’re there for them even when facing life changes. When discussing coverage for stored items with your clients, be sure to review the terms of their homeowner’s or renter’s policy so that they are aware of potential coverage restrictions or value limitations. You may also want to counsel your client on the benefits of a stand-alone tenant insurance policy.

MiniCo Insurance Agency offers multiple insurance options for self-storage tenants as well as fine art and collectibles insurance.

Leave a Reply